Enchanted Forrest 2015, Flux, Loch Dunmore,Faskally woods, Pitlochry, Perthshire. Scotland
Release Date: 30th September 2015
Vivid Enchanted Forest illuminates dark Autumn nights
The Enchanted Forest, a Perthshire Big Tree Country event and Scotland’s premier sound and light show, launched last night in an array of dazzling colours to a select audience of press and VIPs at Forestry Commission Scotland’s Faskally Wood near Pitlochry.
The fourteenth event in the series delighted visitors with stunning aerial acrobatics, choreographed sound and light displays and, for the first time ever, visitors will have the opportunity to go “off path” using a specially constructed pier that will situate them right at the heart of a stunning son et lumiere show.
On course to smash all previous box office records, organisers are predicting that over 55,000 visitors will flock to the Highland Perthshire town of Pitlochry this year to see the event and, with all Saturday nights during the run sold out and local hotels filling up quickly, they are urging customers to plan ahead.
Graham Brown, Chairman of The Enchanted Forest Community Trust commented:
“We’re delighted to announce our fourteenth show officially open to the public and the signs are looking positive that it will be another successful show for us this year. The event’s success directly benefits the local business community of Highland Perthshire, many of whom are incredibly busy as a result of thousands of additional visitors to the area, but it also enables us to support local charities, clubs and organisations in the area, all of which deliver important services to the people of Highland Perthshire.”
The show was officially pronounced open by Mike Cantlay, Chairman of VisitScotland who was in attendance along with his family. He commented:
“As the current winner of our prestigious Thistle Award for Best Event, The Enchanted Forest continues to go from strength to strength and I’m delighted to see that this year’s show is more spectacular than ever before.
“The creative team at The Enchanted Forest has an exceptional way of refreshing their approach every year to create a unique event that showcases Scotland’s natural landscape at its very best. This is a must-see event this autumn for people of all ages, one of the best shows I’ve seen all year.
“Events like this don’t just provide entertainment – they boost the local visitor economy and represent a multi-million pound opportunity to increase jobs as well as deliver cultural and social benefits.”
The 2015 show FLUX has been designed by a creative team led by Derek Allan including Scottish lighting designers Kate Bonney and Simon Hayes, and specially composed and recorded music, and sound effects by RJ McConnell and Jon Beales. Together they have created a dazzling and engaging show which celebrates the stunning woodland setting of the event.
Liz Grant, Provost of Perth and Kinross was also in attendance to welcome visitors to Highland Perthshire:
“This is undoubtedly one of Perthshire, and indeed Scotland’s, finest cultural events and I’m delighted to see that this year’s show is as exceptional as ever. Last year it attracted over 46,000 visitors to Highland Perthshire, an essential boost to the local economy at this time of year, and it is a superb ambassador for Perth and Kinross as a destination, not just nationally, but right across the globe. I heartily recommend a visit.”
The event runs from Thursday 1st October – Sunday 1st November. Proceeds from the first night’s show on Thursday 1st October will be split equally between three charities: PKAVS, CHAS and Scottish Autism.
For further information about the Enchanted Forest and to book tickets, visit the Enchanted Forest website at http://www.enchantedforest.org.uk
-- ENDS --
For further information contact Tricia Fox on 01738 658187 or mobile 07989 955039
NOTES TO EDITORS
IMAGES: Free to use imagery of this year’s show will be available in Hi Res on Thursday 1st October in the afternoon – to request call 01738 658187 or email email@example.com
VIDEO: Free to use video of this year’s show will be available as a YouTube link on Friday 2nd October mid morning – to request video content call 01738 658187 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Enchanted Forest
Location: Forestry Commission Scotland’s Faskally Wood near Pitlochry.
Ownership & Management: The Enchanted Forest Community Trust, a charity registered in Scotland
Chairman: Graham Brown
Visitors: Over 45,000 visitors attend annually – up to 55,000 can attend in 2015
Creative Director: Derek Allan, Director of Allan Associates
Lighting Designers: Kate Bonney and Simon Hayes
Sound Design & Composition: RJ McConnell and Jon Beales
Sound & Lighting Main Contractor: NL Productions
Event Awards & Nominations:
· FINALIST, Best Event or Festival, 2015-2016 Regional Scottish Thistle Awards
· WINNER, Best Event, 2015 Scottish Thistle Awards
· WINNER, Best Cultural Event, 2014 Scottish Event Awards
· WINNER, Best Marketing Campaign, 2014 Scottish Event Awards
· WINNER, Best Cultural Event, 2013 Scottish Event Awards
· WINNER, Cultural Event of the Year Award (Regional), Scottish Thistle Awards
· WINNER, VisitBritain Marketing Campaign of the Year Award (Regional), Scottish Thistle Awards
· FINALIST, VisitBritain Marketing Campaign of the Year Award (Regional), Scottish Thistle Awards
· Commendation, Best Marketing Campaign, 2012 Scottish Event Awards
· WINNER, Event Management Grand Prix, 2011 Scottish Event Awards
· WINNER, Best Cultural Event, 2011 Scottish Event Awards
· Commendation, Best Large Event, 2011 Scottish Event Awards
· WINNER, Event of the Year, Perthshire Chamber of Commerce Business Star Awards
· WINNER, Community Award, Perthshire Big Tree Country Awards
· Commendation, Best Marketing Strategy, 2010 Scottish Event Awards
· Finalist, Best Marketing Strategy, 2010 UK Event Awards
· WINNER, Best Marketing Strategy, 2009 Scottish Event Awards
· Commendation, Best Large Event, 2009 Scottish Event Awards
· Commendation, Best Cultural Event, 2009 Scottish Event Awards
· Finalist, Perthshire Chamber of Commerce Tourism & Hospitality Star Award 2009
· Finalist, Perthshire Chamber of Commerce Marketing Star Award 2009
Key Facts about Faskally Wood
· Faskally was purchased by the Forestry Commission in 1953. It covers 365 hectares and is divided in two by the old and new A9. The area where the Enchanted Forest takes place is approximately 66 hectares in size.
· The forest contains 25 recorded species of tree, of which only a handful are native: Scots Pine, Silver and Downy Birch, Ash, Oak, Rowan, Common Alder, Hazel, and Bird Cherry. The oldest known tree is approximately 200-225 years old.
· Faskally is derived from the Gaelic for "stance by the ferry" which probably relates to an old ferry crossing on the river Tummel.
· The forest attracts approximately 60,000 visitors a year, excluding those to the Enchanted Forest.
dwb15066Enchanted Forrest2015FluxLoch DunmoreFaskally WoodsPitlochryPerthshire. Scotland